NEWS/REPORT WRITING FOR THE UNIVERSITY WRITER
What is a report?A report is a detailed examination of a situation or problem, of action taken, or of the findings of an investigation. It is set out in a clear, informative way, often drawing conclusions, making recommendations and suggesting courses of action. The purpose of such report is usually to bring information to the attention of senior management authorities so that any decisions regarding the matter under review can be made by them with full knowledge of the background, facts, and circumstances. Elizabeth Pryse (1981:149)
- Parliamentary Reports
- Medical Reports
- Diagnostic Reports
- Productivity Reports
- Weather Reports
- Business Reports
- Law Reports
- Newspaper Reports
Features of a Report
- It is formal
- It is statement
- It is the result of an investigation
- It is commissioned by others
- It is written by one person or group
Types of Report
Informal Verbal Reports
Routine reports are submitted at regular intervals; and they include:
—Annual, monthly, weekly and daily reports
—Departmental Heads on the performance of the department
—Salesmen’s reports to their Managers
Routine reports are not tasking as they have been reduced to templates or already designed forms waiting to be filled out. Examples of this include: Annual performance report forms, Bin cards, Death Reports, Laboratory reports, etc.
Special reports are required in organizations. They require detailed investigation and are usually requested based on terms of references.
Qualities of a good report
= Clearness of Expression
= Completeness and Accuracy
Process of Writing a Report
>Collection of information
>Assembly of collected information
>Selection of the relevant information
The Format of the Report
- Preamble or Introduction
Types of Journalism
…News means new/fresh events. Avoid reporting that which says nothing new, except to review the past in order to hit a fresh point.
…..You do not owe anyone if you fail to report all about that person at an event
….Report the event from an angle
….Authorial commentary is not a part of a good report
….Draw a line between a report and feature.
Report inaugural lecture from an angle
The tool for good writing is a good command of language.
Read any well written text to improve your language.
20 incorrect examples of use of English in Uniben
- All setand done
- I was only pulling your legs
- He died aftera brief illness
- LikeI was saying
- Stretch outyour hand
- Salaries are paid as at when due (and)
- The tap is not rushing with water
- Osas is juniorbrother
- Knowing fully well that I am his uncle, he still went on to slap me.
- First and foremost, I must apologize for my rudeness.
- The funeral ceremonywill come up soon.
- Are you hearingme? Yes, I am hearing you.
- My brother is one of those convocating
- My bag is black in colour
- My sister is Youth Corper
- His wife is very plumpy
- Leave here with your smellingmouth (smelly)
- I have a runningstomach (runny)
- Three of you should stop fighting each other
- From the onset,I told him I could never marry him